Friday, October 03, 2008

Old Antti Mäenpänen Kauhava Puukko

This knife is made by Antti Mäenpänen (1873 - 1950). He was a member of Rämakkö family and made knives since he was 19 years old. Antti lived in the US for a few years when he has younger, but this knife is his later ones. I think around 1920. He was best known of his "korupuukko", decorated puukko knives. Since he was a Rämakkö I'm pretty sure he made the sheath himself. He also developed machines for knife making like engraver for the ferrules.

1 comment:

storolav said...

Wonderful old puukko!  I had no idea he continued making those one-of-a-kind pieces.  Do you know how long he continued doing so?  I had the honor of owning one of his, dated 1898, but had no sheath (tuppi?).  Do you know what other machines he designed besides the engraver?  Thanks for the info, and now I know the term for those high-end knives.  I own and treasure an 1899 Yisakki Jarvenpaa korupuukko, one with fullers on the blade!Kiitos!Eric O. Bergland